Philippe Royou has more than 25 years’ experience in tax advisory and litigation work, both in domestic and cross-border transactions:
- Mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures and buyouts: Philippe is particularly experienced in renewable energy projects;
- Investment funds: Philippe consults on many different types of funds, including in particular real estate and hedge funds;
- Estate planning: transfers of businesses, cross-border successions, change of country of residence and disclosure to the authorities of undeclared foreign financial assets are the main areas covered, supported by Philippe’s significant experience in trusts and other similar “structures”;
- Compensation and employee benefits: Philippe has expertise in a wide range of issues, such as designing and implementing incentive compensation plans of all types (stock options, restricted shares, company savings-plans, notional instruments etc.), taxation of expatriates and “impatriates”, cross-border compensation, bonus schemes and management packages for both buyouts and private equity management teams;
- International tax: Mr. Royou represents foreign clients investing in France (especially acquiring French real estate), as well as French clients investing abroad (including via investment funds), working closely with foreign tax advisors; and
- Tax examination and litigation: clients benefit from his extensive experience negotiating with tax authorities.
Philippe’s clients range from publicly-traded companies, to private equity funds, start-up companies, and high net worth individuals.
Before joining Squadra Avocats in 2013, Philippe spent most of his career at Simmons & Simmons and Freshfields.
Philippe is a regular contributor to both French and international tax journals.
Areas of Practice
- Tax law
- International tax structuring